Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Steamed Rice Cake


When I first made this Steamed Rice Cake, I unknowingly swapped the amount of rice flour and plain flour. The result of my error was a soft and light rice cake. :) 

This time round, I used the correct amount of rice flour and plain flour. I am not sure if I have done correctly; the resulting rice cake is slightly on the chewy side and less fluffy. As for the texture, I preferred the first version, i.e. the mixed-up recipe. Haha. Nonetheless, the rice cake tastes marvelous and fantastic. :)

Below is the correct version of the recipe. Feel free to swap the amount of the flour like I did and let me know which one you prefer. :)

Steamed Rice Cake
Adapted from: Magic Steamed Cake by Alex Goh

Ingredients (Makes 3)
50 g rice flour
18.75 g plain flour
82.5 g water
25 g sugar
3/4 tsp double-acting baking powder
Few drops of pink colouring

Method
1. Mix rice flour, plain flour, water, sugar and baking powder until well-blended.
2. Add in the colouring and mix until well-combined.
3. Pour the batter into cupcake moulds lined with paper cups to 90% full.
4. Steam over high heat for 25 minutes.

Notes
- I mixed the pink colouring with water before adding to the dry ingredients and mixed until well-combined.