Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Green Tea Ang Ku Kueh

Don't ask me how an Ang Ku Kueh would taste like; I seriously don't remember when is the last time I ate one. The baking session with Cathy last week kinda changes my impression on these long-forgotten kuehs. :)


Before you start to wonder whether I post the wrong set of photos, let me reassure you: These are truly kuehs! Haha... The reason why they look like mooncakes is because I do not have an Ang Ku Kueh mould, hence I turn to my mooncake plunger instead. :P


I guess by now, most of you would have known that I am a matcha fan. These Green Tea version of Ang Ku Kuehs are no exception, I love them to every bit. To me, it is like eating a softer and stickier version of green tea mochi with red bean filling. :)

I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #12: Traditional Kueh (October 2011) hosted by Small Small Baker.

Thanks to Jane's Corner for sharing the recipe. :)

Green Tea Ang Ku Kueh
Adapted from: Jane's Corner

Ingredients (Makes 12)
(A)
25 g rice flour
55 ml water
(B)
125 g glutinous rice flour
5 g green tea powder
15 g sugar
110 ml water
1 1/2 tbsp oil

Filling
180 g red bean paste

Method
1. In a bowl, mix the ingredients (B) except oil together.
2. In a saucepan, cook ingredients (A) till thick.
3. Mix both (A) and (B) together and add in oil to form a soft dough.
4. Divide the dough and fillings into 12 portions respectively.
5. Wrap a filling in the dough, press into shape using a greased mould and place the kueh on lightly greased banana leaves.
6. Steam for 7 – 8 minutes over medium heat and brush some oil on the surface of the kuehs.

Notes
- The dough was very soft. I added extra flour (10 g rice flour and 5 g glutinous rice flour) after the oil step. Rested the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes before and after shaping.