Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Adapted from: Do What I Like
Ingredients (Makes 9)
240 g bread flour
30 g cake flour
4 g instant yeast
40 g sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg + milk / water to measure up to 170 g
30 g unsalted butter
130 g freshly grated coconut
70 g gula melaka, chopped into small pieces
2 tbsp hot water
Pinch of salt
1. Put hot water and gula melaka into a saucepan over medium heat and cook till gula melaka dissolves.
2. Add in the freshly grated coconut and salt and cook till the mixture is a little dry. The filling should not be too wet but just moist enough.
3. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
4. Combine all ingredients except butter in a bowl and knead till a non-sticky dough is formed.
5. Add in butter and continue to knead till the dough is smooth, elastic and non-sticky.
6. Place the dough in a lightly greased mixing bowl, cover with cling wrap and let it proof for about 60 minutes, or until double in volume.
7. Remove the dough from the bowl and give a few light kneading to punch out the gas in the dough.
8. Divide the dough into 9 equal portions, about 55 g each and shape into rounds.
9. Roll out each dough into a circle. Place a portion of coconut filling in the centre of the dough. Seal the bun tightly and shape into rounds.
10. Place the dough on a lined baking tray, cover with cling wrap and let them proof for about 45 minutes.
11. Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C for 15 – 20 minutes.
- I divided the dough to 10 portions, about 50 g each.