Thursday, December 2, 2010

Almond Sponge Cupcakes

I am meeting some friends for dinner and I took this opportunity to make them some simple bakes: Almond Sponge Cupcakes. 


I toasted the chopped almonds in two batches. As you can see, some of the chopped almonds are quite charred. I over-toasted the first batch as I wasn't sure how long I need to toast the chopped almonds. Oops...


Hopefully my friends will like these cupcakes. :)


Almond Sponge Cupcakes
Adapted from: 我愛杯子蛋糕 by 小田川さなえ

Ingredients (Makes 9)
2 eggs
60 g granulated sugar
60 g cake flour
15 g unsalted butter
25 ml milk
2 tbsp chopped almonds

Method
1. Warm the butter and milk over a double-boiler till the butter is melted and the mixture is around 50°C.
2. Sift cake flour and set aside.
3. Toast the chopped almonds at 140 – 150°C until lightly browned.
4. Whisk the eggs and add in sugar.
5. Warm the mixture over a double boiler and stir continuously using a hand whisk until the mixture is warm to touch and reaches body temperature.
6. Remove from heat and beat the mixture using an electric mixer until pale and creamy.
7. Add in the flour mixture and fold using a spatula until flour mixture is fully incorporated into the batter.
8. Take some of the batter and mix with the butter and milk mixture until well-blended. Pour this batter back to the rest of the batter and fold until well-combined.
9. Mix in the chopped almonds lightly.
10. Pour the batter into the lined cupcake tin and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 12 – 13 minutes.

Notes
- I replaced cake flour with plain flour; used 50 g castor sugar and 25 g chopped almonds.
- I did not warm the mixture while whisking the eggs and sugar.