Monday, October 25, 2010

Pandan Chiffon Cake


This Pandan Chiffon Cake is quite fragrant, probably because of Koepoe-Koepoe Aroma pandan paste that I am using. However, I find that it is not as light and spongy (or "chiffon") as those from the bakeries. If you were to ask me, I will say that the texture of my earlier Matcha Chiffon Cake is better than this Pandan Chiffon Cake.


I would like to ask a favour of my dear readers. If you happen to see a 18-cm chiffon pan selling in Singapore stores, kindly drop me a note on where to find it. I went to a number of baking supply stores, including Phoon Huat and Sun Lik, but I did not manage to find a 18-cm chiffon pan. Many thanks in advance! :)

Update on 06 Nov 2010: I have finally found my 18-cm chiffon pan. Thanks to all for your helpful responses! :)

Pandan Chiffon Cake

Ingredients (Makes an 8-inch tube cake)
35 g corn oil
100 g coconut milk
4 egg yolks
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pandan paste
100 g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
5 egg whites
100 g sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar

Method
1. Sift cake flour and baking powder together. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, place egg yolks, 50 g sugar, oil, coconut milk, salt and pandan paste and mix well using a hand whisk.
3. Add in the flour mixture and whisk until flour mixture is fully incorporated into the batter.
4. In a clean dry mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed until foamy. Add the remaining sugar in 2 additions and beat until stiff peaks form.
5. Add 1/3 beaten egg white to the yolk mixture and mix using a hand whisk.
6. Slowly fold this mixture into the remaining 2/3 of beaten egg whites.
7. Pour mixture into the ungreased pan. Tap the pan lightly on a table top with both hands to get rid of any trapped air bubbles in the batter.
8. Bake in a preheated oven at 175°C for about 45 minutes or until the cake surface turns golden brown, and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
9. Remove from the oven and invert the pan immediately. Let it cool completely before unmold.

Notes
- I omitted the cream of tartar.