Monday, September 20, 2010

Red Bean Flaky Mooncakes


I reserved some red bean paste filling for these Red Bean Flaky Mooncakes that caught my attention at Jane's Corner. As this is my first time making such Chinese pastries, I dare not make too many pieces. After playing with snowskin mooncakes, I am no longer so fearful about wrapping the dough and filling. I may be wrong, but I feel that this dough is much more firmer and easier to work with than the snowskin dough. As the red bean paste filling is on the soft side, I shaped them and left them in the fridge until I am ready to wrap the fillings into the dough.

While the pastries are baking in the oven, I can smell the house filled with the lovely pastry aroma. I waited impatiently for them to cool and immediately help myself with one before I start to take the photo of the others. I love its melt-in-your-mouth feeling. Awesome! :)


Thanks to Jane's Corner for sharing the recipe. :)

Red Bean Flaky Mooncakes
Adapted from: Jane's Corner

Ingredients (Makes 4)
Water Dough
45 g plain flour
4 g icing sugar
15 g shortening
22 g water

Oil Dough
32 g plain flour
16 g shortening

Filling
120 g red bean paste

Glazing
1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tsp water, for egg wash
Some white / black sesame seeds, for sprinkling

Method
1. Filling: Divide into 4 portions of 30 g each. Shape round and set aside.
2. Water Dough: Mix plain flour, icing sugar and shortening together until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add in water and knead into a soft dough. Cling wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes. Divide into 4 portions of around 20 g each.
3. Oil Dough: Mix plain flour and shortening together and knead into a dough (Do not over-knead). Cling wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes. Divide into 4 portions of around 12 g each.

Assembling:
4. Flatten a piece of water dough and wrap in an oil dough. Seal the edges to form into a ball.
5. With the heel of your palm, gently press the dough down to flatten it lightly. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into an elongated shape around 15 cm long. Roll up the dough in a swiss roll style. Rest for 15 minutes.
6. Turn the dough 90 degrees and roll out the dough into an elongated shape around 20 cm long. Roll up the dough in a swiss roll style. Rest for 15 minutes.
7. Flatten the dough into a round shape and wrap in the filling. Seal the edges and place the sealed ends facing downwards on a baking tray.
8. Brush egg wash on the surface and sprinkle with sesame seeds on top.
9. Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C for 20 – 25 minutes, or until golden brown.

Notes
- I applied a second egg wash 15 minutes into baking.
- I omitted the sesame seeds for topping.