Sunday, September 19, 2010

Indonesia Yam Cake

I have some yam that have been lying in my fridge for quite a while, which I would love to make into yam paste dessert (more popularly known as "Or Nee"). That has always been one of my favourite desserts. However, my family is not very fond of the dessert and discourages me against it. Well, no choice, I have to source for other recipes before the poor yam ends up rotting. Haha...


I stumble across this Indonesia Yam Cake recipe in a book which features many interesting kuehs. The finished product appears shorter in height than I have expected. I cut into around 12 bite-sized pieces and chilled them before serving. It was refreshingly addictive and before long, the kueh was all gone, which is something that any chef or baker is pleased to see. :)

Indonesia Yam Cake
Adapted from Kueh Flavour by Wong Kim Meng

Ingredients (Makes a 8-inch round)
200 ml coconut milk
200 ml water
130 g sugar
150 g yam, steamed
40 g mung bean flour (Hoon Kueh powder)
25 g rice flour
15 g corn flour
Some grated coconut, for garnishing
Few drops of yam paste

Method
1. Sift mung bean flour, rice flour and corn flour together. Set aside.
2. Mix coconut milk, water and yam paste together.
3. Add sugar and steamed yam and blend using a blender till well combined.
4. Add in flour mixture. Mix well using a hand whisk.
5. Place the mixture over a double boiler on low heat and stir continuously until it is cooked into batter.
6. Pour batter into a greased 8-inch round steaming tin. Steam over high heat for 25 minutes.
7. Garnish with grated coconut. Steam again for 3 minutes. Serve.

Notes
- Grated coconut was omitted.
- Can consider using a smaller pan.