Matcha Red Bean Buns
Ingredients (Makes 8)
200 g bread flour
4 g instant yeast
20 g sugar
3 g (½ tsp) salt
20 g egg
100 g warm water
20 g unsalted butter
2 g (1 tsp) matcha powder
1 can of sweetened red beans
Some beaten egg, for egg wash
1. Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water. Stir to dissolve the yeast. Leave for 15 minutes.
2. Combine all ingredients except butter in a bowl and knead till a non-sticky dough is formed.
3. Add in butter and continue to knead till the dough is smooth, elastic and non-sticky. Do the window pane test.
4. Place the dough in a lightly greased mixing bowl, cover with cling wrap and let it proof for about 50 – 60 minutes, or until double in volume.
5. Remove the dough from the bowl and give a few light kneading to punch out the gas in the dough. Turn out the dough and fold the dough into thirds.
6. Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and shape into rounds. Cover with a damp cloth or cling wrap and let them rest for 10 minutes.
7. Roll out each portion of dough into a 10-cm (4-inch) oval. Place a portion of sweetened red beans in the centre of the dough and fold the dough in half. Make 4 incisions 2-cm with a bread scraper.
8. Place the dough on a lined baking tray, cover with cling wrap and let them proof for about 40 – 50 minutes, or until double in volume.
9. Brush the top with egg wash.
10. Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.