Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Pineapple Rolls


The Chinese New Year will never be complete without pineapple tarts/rolls! Most people whom I have known are great lovers of pineapple tarts/rolls. I am an exception, haha... These pineapple rolls are specially made for my parents' indulgence, as well as for friends and relatives who will be visiting in the next couple of days.

I used the store-bought pineapple paste. I have little confidence in my cooking skills, seriously. On top of that, this is my maiden attempt in making pineapple rolls. I spent one whole afternoon in doing these rolls all by myself. Tiring as it is, I am glad that these pineapple rolls are well-received by my family. :)

I hereby wish everyone a happy and prosperous Chinese New Year! :)

祝大家:
恭喜发财, 身体健康
步步高升, 心想事成


Thanks to 我的厨房乐园 for sharing the recipe. :)

Pineapple Rolls
Adapted from: 我的厨房乐园

Ingredients (Makes 85)
250 g unsalted butter
50 g castor sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
Pinch of salt
350 g plain flour
30 g corn flour
1 kg pineapple paste
2 egg yolks, for glazing

Method
1. Divide the pineapple paste to 8 g each and roll into small balls. Set aside.
2. Beat butter and sugar until sugar is dissolved.
3. Add in egg yolk and beat until well-combined.
4. Add vanilla essence and salt and beat until fluffy.
5. Sift plain flour and corn flour together and fold into the butter mixture to form a soft dough.
6. Divide the dough to 8 g each and roll into small balls.
7. Flatten a piece of dough and place a piece of the rolled pineapple paste in the middle. Bring the edges of the dough together and press lightly to seal. Roll it in between your palms to shape it into a roll.
8. Place the rolls into paper casings and arrange on a baking tray. Brush the egg glaze on the pineapple rolls.
9. Bake in a preheated oven at 160°C and bake for 18 – 20 minutes or until the rolls are pale golden brown.
10. Cool on a wire rack before storing in an airtight container.