Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Shenandoah Valley Blueberry Cake

Finally, the long-awaited sale was here! Nope, it is not clothes, bags or shoes. It is blueberries!!! For a period of time, the price of the blueberries was soaring high. I was so excited to find them on discount. Grabbing a few punnets of the blueberries is just the most intuitive and sensible thing to do. :P

When I first saw the Shenandoah Valley Blueberry Cake at Cook.Bake.Love months ago, I was mesmerised by the beautiful name and Angel of Cook.Bake.Love had given good reviews on the cake. I told myself, I shall try this recipe once I get hold of blueberries. And I did. :)


I have to agree that this batter is really extremely thick and hard to work with. I can barely mix the batter after I added in the frozen blueberries, lest to say to smoothen the batter when I scrapped it into the baking pan. I had to resort using my clumsy fingers to spread the batter and blueberries on the baking pan (Hehe... Sorry for the unglam). The end product is definitely beyond my expectation, a light and delicious cake with blueberries oozing in each mouthful. If only the blueberries are not so tangy. Hehe...


Thanks to Cook.Bake.Love for sharing the recipe. :)

Shenandoah Valley Blueberry Cake
Adapted from: Cook.Bake.Love and Southern Cakes by Nancie McDermott

Ingredients (Makes a 9-inch square or a 9-inch round)
210 g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
75 g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
130 g sugar
1 egg
80 ml milk
125 g fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)

Method
1. Heat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and generously grease a 9-inch square or round pan.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl, and stir with a fork to mix well.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the butter and sugar and beat with a mixer at high speed until well combined.
4. Add the egg and beat well for 1 to 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the bowl, until the mixture is smooth and light.
5. Stir in half the flour mixture, then half the milk, mixing just enough to keep the batter fairly smooth and well combined. Add the remaining flour mixture, then the rest of the milk, mixing gently. Stir in blueberries.
6. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake at 375°F (190°C) for 30 minutes, or until the cake is golden, springs back when touched gently in the centre and is pulling away from the sides of the pan.
7. Serve a square cake right from the pan, warm or at room temperature, cut into small squares. If it is round, let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack or folded kitchen towel for 10 minutes, and then turn it out to cool on a wire rack, top side up.