Saturday, November 13, 2010

Huat Kueh


I have cravings for a simple and fuss-free afternoon snack. Equipped with a hand whisk, a mixing bowl, a kitchen scale and a steamer and I am on my way to whip up these little steam cakes. Cleaning up is easy and fast too.

I love the "smiling" top of the huat kuehs; they make my day bright and beautiful too. :) I made 9 of them in 3 separate batches. You may have noticed that there are only 7 in the photo. No prize for guessing where the other 2 went to. *Grin*

Thanks to Eating Pleasure for sharing the recipe. :)

Huat Kueh
Adapted from: Eating Pleasure

Ingredients (Makes 3 small cupcakes)
130 g self-raising flour
35 g black sugar
35 g white sugar
25 g coconut cream
100 ml hot water

Method
1. Place some water into a steamer and bring it to boil.
2. Dissolve the black sugar and white sugar in the 100 ml hot water.
3. Sift self-raising flour in a big bowl. Mix with coconut cream. Sift in the sugar syrup slowly and mix until you get a gluey batter.
4. Fill the batter into paper cups. Steam over high heat for 12 - 15 minutes.

Notes
- I replaced black sugar with white sugar (total amount of sugar used was 70 g); self-raising flour with 130 g plain flour, 1 ½ tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt.
- Made 3 batches. Added a few drops of pandan paste to 2 batches.