Thursday, October 7, 2010

French Almond Cake



Months ago before I started blogging, I saw this cake at Happy Home Baking. I was drawn by the simple yet elegant look of her cake. On top of that, I was curious about how ground almonds would taste like in a cake. Shortly after, I went to get a packet of ground almonds and flaked almonds, telling myself I will bake this cake soon.

However I did not. Not until I saw it again recently at Hearty Bakes. Her cake seemed to beckon me to "bake me, bake me". Without further ado, I digged out my equipment, gathered the ingredients and baked this French Almond Cake to cheer up the otherwise gloomy day.

It is indeed a light moist cake with a subtle buttery ground almond fragance. I simply love the crunchy bite of the flaked almonds!



Thanks to Happy Home Baking and Hearty Bakes for sharing the recipe. :)

French Almond Cake
Adapted from: Happy Home Baking, Hearty Bakes and Easy Cakes by Linda Collister

Ingredients (Makes an 8-inch round)
110 g unsalted butter, cubed and softened at room temperature
120 g castor sugar
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
90 g ground almond
40 g self-raising flour
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract (Optional)
1 tbsp flaked almonds, for sprinkling
Some icing sugar, for dusting 

Method
1. Preheat oven at 180°C. Grease the sides of an 8-inch round pan and line the base with a parchment paper.
2. Toast ground almonds at 100°C for 10 minutes, stirring in between. Let it cool.
3. Place butter, sugar and eggs in a mixing bowl.
4. Add almond powder, flour, milk, vanilla extract (optional) and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
5. Spoon into the prepared pan and spread the batter evenly.
6. Sprinkle the flaked almonds over the top of the batter.
7. Bake at 180°C for 30 – 35 minutes, or until the sponge just springs back when pressed, or a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
8. Run a thin bladed knife around the sides of the pan to loosen the cake, then turn out onto a wire rack and let it cool.
9. Dust with icing sugar before serving.  

Notes
- If the top of the cake turns brown too quickly (after 15 – 20 minutes), cover the top with a foil. I did not cover with a foil as the top of my cake was just nicely browned.
- I run out of milk at home. Hence I replaced milk with the same amount of water and 40 g self-raising flour with 40 g plain flour, ½ tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt.