Monday, September 27, 2010

Yam Jelly Mooncakes


I know Mid-Autumn Festival is over, but I still have some yam paste filling in my fridge. I used some of the yam paste filling for this set of jelly mooncakes. This time round, I chilled for more than 5 hours before I unmolded them. But there is one important step which I forgot to follow, that is to scratch the surfaces before I added in the next layer of agar-agar mixture. I only realised it when I was cutting and the filling almost fell off. Another thing is the mock egg yolks were slightly off-centred, resulting in some of the quarters did not have its share of egg yolk! Hehe...

Thanks to 巧思空間 for sharing the recipe. :)

Yam Jelly Mooncakes
Adapted from: 巧思空間

Ingredients
Mock Egg Yolks (Makes 20 egg yolks)
I used the Red Bean Paste Jelly Mooncakes recipe.

Filling (Makes 4 fillings)
3/4 tsp agar-agar powder
20 g sugar
50 ml evaporated milk / coconut milk
100 ml water
Pinch of salt
1 piece of pandan leaf, knotted

Pastry (Makes 4 pastries)
1 1/2 tsp agar-agar powder
50 g sugar
125 ml evaporated milk / coconut milk
225 ml water
Pinch of salt
80 g yam puree, steamed
Few drops of yam paste

Method
Mock Egg Yolks:
Step 1 to 4, I used the Red Bean Paste Jelly Mooncakes recipe.

Filling:
5. Put all ingredients in a pot and bring it to a boil.
6. Remove from heat and discard the pandan leaves.
7. Pour the mixture into a small mould and place a mock egg yolk in the centre of the mould. Leave it to set and chill in the fridge.
8. Remove from mould and use a fork to scratch on the surface of the filling.

Pastry:
9. Mix agar-agar powder, sugar and salt together. Add in evaporated milk (or coconut milk), water and yam puree. Bring it to a boil over low heat.
10. Remove from heat and stir in the yam paste.

Assembling the agar-agar mooncake:
11. Pour the pastry mixture into the jelly mooncake mould to about ¼ full. Leave it to half-set.
12. Place a filling in the centre of the mould and fill up the mould with the pastry mixture. Leave it to set and chill in the fridge.
13. Loosen the sides of the agar-agar mooncake. Invert the mould and gently press the agar-agar out of the mould.

Notes
- Scratching the surface of the filling will allow it to stick onto the pastry.