Monday, March 14, 2011

Blueberry Lemon Cake


Immerse in the wonders of lemon. A small amount of lemon zest can make a big difference to a bake: Refreshing and makes one feel so much less guilty when indulging in a rich buttery cake. Hehe... Next time when a recipe calls for lemon zest, I hope I can duly follow without omitting this ingredient. Well, grating lemon zest is one of the most dreaded tasks that I find in baking.

I have finally used up all the frozen blueberries that I have stocked up in the fridge. One of the most useful tips that I have learnt from various bloggers is on freezing blueberries. With this, I can satisfy my craving for blueberry bakes anytime. :)


The same cake seems to look different even though I did not change the camera setting. Well, I am a camera-idiot and just used the auto-mode. Hehe... Which photo do you prefer? :)

I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #5: Fruity March (March 2011) hosted by Bakericious.

Blueberry Lemon Cake
Adapted from: Easy Cakes by Linda Collister

Ingredients (Makes a 9-inch loaf)
125 g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
100 g sugar
1 1/2 tsp lemon zest, grated
2 extra-large eggs
Pinch of salt
110 g self-raising flour
70 g frozen blueberries
Some icing sugar for dusting

Method
1. Put the butter in an electric mixer and beat at low speed until creamy. Increase the speed and gradually beat in the sugar, followed by the lemon zest.
2. Put the eggs and salt in a large measuring cup with a lip, beat lightly, then add to the creamed mixture, 1 tablespoon or so at a time, beating well after each addition. Add 1 tablespoon flour with the last 2 portions of egg to prevent the mixture from separating.
3. Sift the rest of the flour onto the mixture and gently fold in with a large metal spoon. When you no longer see streaks of flour, mix in the blueberries.
4. Transfer to the greased pan and spread evenly. Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then carefully invert onto a wire rack and let cool completely. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
5. Store in an airtight container and eat within 5 days.

Notes
- I replaced 110 g self-raising flour with 110 g plain flour and 1 tsp baking powder.
- I omitted the icing sugar for dusting.
- Can consider to use a smaller loaf pan.