Sunday, December 5, 2010

Marmalade Almond Muffins

I bought a jar of SYLT FLÄDER & APELSIN Orange & Elderflower marmalade from IKEA a couple of months ago to go with my scones. Ever since then, the jar of marmalade has been sitting in my fridge. Spreading marmalade on toast is kinda out for me as I prefer my bread with butter, kaya or peanut butter. Hmm, what else can I use this wonderful marmalade for?


The answer is Marmalade Almond Muffins! I love these soft muffins with the mildly sweet marmalade and the crunchy almond slices. Verdict: Simply awesome!! :)

Marmalade Almond Muffins
Adapted from: The Australian Women’s Weekly – Breads & Muffins

Ingredients (Makes 18)
2 cups (300 g) self-raising flour
125 g butter, chopped
1 cup (80 g) flaked almonds
2/3 cup (150 g) sugar
1 tbsp orange rind, finely grated
1/2 cup (170 g) orange marmalade
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
1/4 cup (20 g) flaked almonds, extra for sprinkling

Method
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease the muffin pan.
2. Sift flour into large bowl, rub in butter. Stir in nuts, sugar and rind, then marmalade, eggs and milk.
3. Divide mixture among holes of prepared pan; sprinkle with extra nuts.
4. Bake muffins in oven for about 20 minutes. Stand muffins in pan for a few minutes before turning onto wire rack.

Notes
- I substituted 300 g self-raising flour with 300 g plain flour, 3 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt; 125 ml milk with 10 g milk powder dissolved in 125 g warm water.
- I used 120 g castor sugar and 180 g marmalade.
- I omitted orange rind and orange syrup for glazing.
- Marmalade, beaten eggs and milk were mixed together before adding to the dry ingredients. I gave the batter a quick mix after adding the wet ingredients (Do not over-mix, the batter should appear lumpy).