My first greetings in 2013!
Earl Grey tea is my favourite tea and I love these tea-scented cupcakes to every bit. After staying away from the kitchen for so long, I do not know that I will miss baking so much! To me, baking is a little time for myself to indulge in a fun and therapeutic activity. This little cupcake makes me itch for another baking time soon! :)
I love the look of the generous specks of Earl Grey tea powder in the cupcake. If I were to make this again, I will add in some lemon zest to enhance the flavour. :)
Earl Grey Tea Cupcakes
Adapted from: 好想为你亲手做出美味的甜点! by 检见崎聡美
Ingredients (Makes 8 cupcakes of 100 cc)
100 g cake flour
2 tbsp (4 satchels) Earl Grey tea leaves / tea powder
100 g butter, softened at room temperature
80 g granulated sugar
3 eggs, separated
1 tbsp rum
Some lemon essence
1. Line the paper cases in the cupcake tin.
2. Place the cake flour and ground tea leaves (or tea powder) in a bowl and mix using a hand whisk, loosening / breaking up all the lumps in the flour.
3. Whisk the butter till smooth and glossy and resembles mayonnaise. Add 70 g sugar in 3 additions and whisk till sugar is dissolved and the batter is pale and increase in volume.
4. Add egg yolk one at a time, whisking well in each addition. Continue whisking until the batter is thick, creamy and lemon in colour.
5. Add in rum and essence and give it a quick mix.
6. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites till foamy. Add 10 g sugar and beat till stiff peaks form.
7. Add ⅓ of the beaten egg whites to the egg yolk batter and mix using a hand whisk swiftly without deflating.
8. Sift in the ⅓ of the flour mixture and mix using a hand whisk.
9. Add in the rest of the beaten egg whites and fold using a spatula swiftly without deflating.
10. Sift in the rest of the flour mixture and fold using a spatula.
11. Spoon the batter into the cases until 90% full. Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C – 180°C for 50 minutes.
12. Remove and cool in tin, then unmold and cool completely.
- I replaced rum and lemon essence with 1 tsp vanilla essence.
- I sifted Earl Grey tea powder together with the flour.