Whenever I think of spinach, the image of Popeye immediately appears. Popeye is one of my favourite cartoons when I was young. Who can forget the extraordinary strength that Popeye gained after consuming spinach, although I am not sure about the truth behind it? Hehe... Are you a fan of Popeye when young? Don't be shy to raise your hands. :)
With a handful of spinach leaves, this Spinach Chiffon Cake displays the most natural light green that I have ever seen in all my bakes so far. Ooh, how I love the pretty green hue. :)
Thanks to 袅袅烘焙香 for sharing the recipe. :)
Spinach Chiffon Cake
Adapted from: 袅袅烘焙香
Ingredients (Makes a 21-cm tube cake)
4 egg yolks
20 g castor sugar
48 g vegetable oil
65 g spinach juice
80 g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
80 g sweetened red beans
4 egg whites
40 g castor sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
6 - 7 spinach leaves
2 tbsp water
1. Cut the spinach leaves into small pieces and blend with 2 tbsp water. Strain and measure out 65 g of spinach juice.
2. Sift cake flour and baking powder together. Set aside.
3. In a bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar together till pale and sugar is dissolved.
4. Add in oil and mix well, followed by the spinach juice.
5. Add in the flour mixture and mix well.
6. In a clean mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar till foamy. Add sugar in separate additions until stiff peaks form.
7. Add the beaten egg whites into egg yolk batter in 4 additions and fold gently using a spatula.
8. Toss the red beans with a little flour before mixing into the batter.
9. Pour the batter into an ungreased tube pan. Tap the pan lightly on a table top with both hands to get rid of any trapped air bubbles in the batter.
10. Bake in a preheated oven at 160°C for 40 minutes.
11. Remove from the oven and invert the pan immediately. Let it cool completely before unmold.
- Tossing the red beans in a bit of flour prevents them all sinking to the bottom of the pan.
- I blended spinach leaves with 50 ml water, strained and measured out 65 g of spinach juice.
- I omitted sweetened red beans.