Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Red Bean Muffins

It has been quite a while since I bake any muffins using the creaming method. Most of the times, I opt for muffin recipes that are using the traditional muffin method, i.e. mixing the dry ingredients and wet ingredients together. The reason is simple: To save the trouble of taking out the electric mixer and less effort to wash up afterwards. Oops, did I just reveal my plain laziness? Haha... :P


You probably have heard this from me many times: I am always baking to clear the existing ingredient inventory. If not for the sweetened red beans that I desperately want to finish up, I will not discover the wonders of the creaming method of muffins. These muffins are closer to a cake texture and the crumbs are so light and fine! :)


Red Bean Muffins
Adapted from: 君之

Ingredients (Makes 5)
60 g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
60 g castor sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
50 ml milk
15 ml lemon juice
100 g cake flour
1/8 tsp tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
60 g sweetened red beans

Method
1. Sift cake flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
2. With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until the batter turns pale and increases in volume.
3. Add the beaten egg in 3 additions, beating well after each addition.
4. Add in milk, lemon juice and flour mixture and fold using a spatula till well-combined.
5. Fold in the red beans and mix well.
6. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups till ⅔ full and sprinkle some red beans on top.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 185°C for around 30 minutes.

Notes
- I added lemon juice to the milk and set aside before use.
- I used 65 g sweetened red beans and mixed all the red beans into the batter. I did not sprinkle any red beans on top.