Friday, March 25, 2011

Matcha Madeleines

The reason why matcha bakes are constantly appearing in my blog these days is because my bottle of matcha powder is going to expire soon! Hehe... And because of that, I finally made my first batch of madeleines. Hurray... :)


I was wondering how madeleines develop the humps since the madeleine batter looks no different from my other cake batters. Will my madeleines develop the characteristic humps too? I stood in front of the oven, keeping my fingers crossed. To my surprise, it happened amazingly within split seconds after 5 minutes or so into baking. Imagine my excitement when I saw the humps unfolding before my eyes!! :) Although some of the humps are not so prominent, I am happy enough.


Aren't these madeleines pretty? I can't help but took a few more photos of these petite cakes.


Thanks to 袅袅烘焙香 for sharing the recipe. :)

Matcha Madeleines
Adapted from: 袅袅烘焙香

Ingredients (Makes 20)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
60 g castor sugar
1 tbsp honey
115 g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp matcha powder
Pinch of salt
115 g butter, melted and cooled

Method
1. Sift plain flour, baking powder, matcha powder and salt together. Set aside.
2. Whisk the eggs, sugar and honey until pale and thick.
3. Add in the flour mixture and mix until well-combined.
4. Add in the melted butter gradually and mix until smooth.
5. Cover the bowl with a cling film and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
6. Pour the batter into a piping bag fitted with a 1-cm round tip and fill the batter in a buttered and floured madeleine mould about 80% full.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C for 10 minutes, or till the madeleines have risen well and the edges are golden brown.
8. Invert the madeleines onto a wire rack and serve warm or at room temperature.

Notes
- For best results, refrigerate the buttered and floured madeleine mould for 10 – 15 minutes each time before use.